North Pocono High School has a long-running and required Summer Reading Program for all students entering grades 9-12 in the fall. Each student entering or returning to the high school is required to read the assigned book(s) and complete the assignment(s) for the grade and course level the student will enter in the fall.
- Parents and students should read the Summer Reading Program introductory letter here.
- Parents and students should also review the Summer Reading Program Lost Book Policy.
- Parents and students should be aware of the Summer Reading Program Transfer Students Policy.
Locating Books to Complete Summer Reading Requirements
With the summer reading program emphasizing book choice, providing every student with every book is impractical both financially and logistically. Students are required to obtain the required summer reading books on their own. To reduce the expense incurred by the students, the English department has worked hard to select titles that are more affordable (few titles exceed $12 and many are under $10) and has produced the following list of potential cost-saving measures.
- IN A COOPERATIVE EFFORT BETWEEN THE HIGH SCHOOL AND THE NORTH POCONO PUBLIC LIBRARY, COPIES OF EACH OF THE TITLES FOR SUMMER READING WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR STUDENTS TO BORROW THROUGHOUT THE SUMMER.
- A few students could purchase one book and share it.
- Purchase used copies from online booksellers.
- Purchase electronic copies which are often less expensive.
- Purchase / borrow copies from previous classes (i.e., book ‘hand-me-downs’)
North Pocono High School recognizes the purchase options may present a hardship for some families, and that the public library's hours or terms may not align with a particular family's abilities. In such cases, students may borrow books from the high school during the summer months. A supply of titles will be available before the end of school but a student may not borrow more than 2 books at a time. Books borrowed from the school must be returned to the school. Students who borrow books directly from the high school must complete the Summer Reading Program Book Loan Request Form.
To assist students in completing required summer reading, the English Department has located or created reading/study guides for numerous titles. Please click the link below for a list of all available reading/study guides.